Our zucchini production has peaked but you may be lucky enough to have more than you need. Lots left at local/farmer’s markets which I used for the following recipe.
I adore lasagne but when made traditionally, it tends to be notoriously high in carbs. While I’m trying to limit my carb consumption, I don’t want to entirely give up on pasta and the scrumptious sauces with which it comes, so I’ve been experimenting with low-carb alternatives. Here’s one by Delish that’s been consistently well-received by friends and family. Note changes that I made to the recipe, moving it from vegetarian to sausage-enhanced.
The video is worth a watch.
- 2 c. ricotta
- 1 c. freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 c. marinara (I used YO MAMA’S marinara/available on Amazon/loved)
- 3 large zucchini, cut into wide strips using a Y peeler and drained on paper towels
- 3 c. shredded mozzarella (I used Sargento Six Cheese Italian)
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, browned
- 1 red onion, minced
- fresh basil as garnish
Rather than placing lattice on a diagonal, I set the zucchini slices in line with the sides of the baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, stir together ricotta, cheese, and eggs (garlic cloves and red onion if desired). Season the ricotta mixture with salt and pepper.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara in a baking dish and layer with two layers of zucchini noodles, ricotta mixture, cheese (and if desired, sausage).
- For the final layer, create a zucchini lattice. Layer zucchini noodles side by side at a diagonal in the baking dish. Lift the bottom half of every other noodle and lay another zucchini noodle across diagonally. Repeat until top layer is full.
- Sprinkle with more cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until cheese is totally melted and zucchini is cooked through, approximately 30 minutes.
- Broil briefly to brown cheese.
- Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with basil if desired.