They are at their peak. Or close to it. Eating ripe, juicy tomatoes is truly a terrific summertime treat, right?
Set yourself apart from the pack with this super simple six-ingredient recipe. Tomatoes, Basil. Cheese. Pesto. Store-bought Puff Pastry. Seasoning. Easy enough, right?
Assuming you love these ingredients, you cannot go wrong with this recipe.
Summertime Tomato Pesto Tart
- 1 box (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2/3 cup (or more) basil pesto (I like Ina Garten’s recipe)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4-6 large tomatoes or a mixture of whole and cut, large and small
- olive oil for drizzling
- fresh basil, one bunch
- Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning or TJ’s Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lay the thawed puff pastry on the baking sheet, overlapping if necessary, and prick with the tines of a fork. Note: I used 2 sheets to fill the entire baking sheet.
- Spread pesto over the dough to within ½ inch of pastry edge.
- Top pesto with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and top the tart with tomatoes.
- Drizzle the tart lightly with olive oil and sprinkle generously with seasonings.
- Top with basil to taste..
- Slice and EAT!