A Cake to Bring Comfort (to Kids and Parents)
“Instead of remembering cancelled plans and uncertainty, maybe they’ll remember this as the time when they discovered that baking can be not just a means to a sweet reward, but an act of self-care and solace, just as it is now for their worried mother.” Margaux Laskey, NYT
This recipe makes a sweet, dense, moist delicious almost pound-cake apple bread. Thank you, Anita!
Anita’s Apple Cake
- 1/2 cup ground almond flour + 1/2 cup All-Purpose flour ( Note: you can also use just 1 cup all-purpose flour in which case use only 2 eggs instead of 3).
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter – 1 stick, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbs dark rum
- 2 apples (any kind), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time and beat. Beat in the rum and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and beat on low until just combined. Fold in the chopped apples.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool until just warm before serving.
Check out more recipes at freshperspectives.org