That’s a happy mouthful of healthy, right? And no one flavor overpowers this warming wintery day chicken soup. Add additional curry if you want to boost color and flavor. But as is, I thought that the soup was delightfully well balanced. Cilantro, avocado slices/chunks and a squeeze of lemon are optional. Personally, I loved these additions. Pass all as garnishes for family and friends to top off their bowls. Costco is my super easy, go-to source for roasted chicken. We’re winding down from overeating during the holidays. Otherwise, I’d add some crunchy bread to the menu.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups diced roasted chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 dash pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro
- Chili peppers or chili flakes
- Lemons/lemon juice
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt coconut oil.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery, cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and curry powder and cook 2 additional minutes.
- Add chicken broth, chicken, bay leaf, apple, pepper, thyme,and lemon zest. Stir well.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and salt, if desired.
- Remove bay leaf and serve with passed garnishes.